16 January 2009

A 'Q and A' session

If I were Vikas Swarup, the author who wrote Q&A, on whose book the movie Slumdog Millionaire was based, I'd be slightly confused about whether I should be ecstatic about the Golden Globes or have mixed feelings about my countrymen. The GGs of course are great and all the fanfare that comes with a lovely movie which I am yet to see but I'm more concerned about the book. Sure it had won plenty of critical acclaim and awards but how many of the author's countrymen had actually read it before the movie came along?

Today the Indian media is carrying all these articles about how various directors from the Indian film fraternity had long ago realised and recognised the potential of the book and had gone a-begging for the film rights only to find that the author had already quietly sold them to someone who had beat them all to it. Then there were a hundred opinion polls about which Indian film director would have been the right person to direct the film and given the book the full justice of its potential. Then there are the inevitable lists of top best-sellers in the country. Remember Aravind Adiga's The White Tiger? That made it to maximum bookshelves after the Booker? Even Jhumpa Lahiri's book Namesake found great fame after Tabu and Irfan romanced their way onto international screens.

And now it's Vikas Swarup's turn. Q&A is suddenly appearing on people's bookshelves. Over the last week, I've had several friends and relatives call to ask me: hey you read a lot, right? Umm, yes I try to. Then you must know the name of the book that Slumdog Millionaire was based on? Yes I do. What is it and where can I get it? Have you read it? Yes, a couple of years ago, actually. So, is it still available everywhere? Is it good? Is it the same story? Well yes, but with a few changes. But the boy's in it, right?

Now, if I were Vikas Swarup, I'd be in tears. When did it become so, that a movie reminded people to read? That a film brought an author's work to life? Gave a good book the respect it deserved well before the movie? Danny Boyle's superb film has certainly worked wonders for what must be freshly minted editions of the 2005 book suddenly gracing the glitter-pack's bookshelves.

That day isn't far when kids stop doing book reports and do DVD reports on the book. I certainly hope I'm dead before that.



2 comments:

Kristin Pedroja said...

I understand and sympathize with this frustration, and felt just as emotional about it for many years, until my dear mother brought me back down to earth. She spent 30+ years teaching 8-9 year olds in middle America, many from low-income families, many whose parents never bought them books, and upon seeing their first Harry Potter film, became voracious readers. I've also had friends ask about books after seeing films, from Breakfast at Tiffanys to The Bourne series to Devil Wears Prada to James Bond. For people who don't read for pleasure, films bring them back to reading. I find that sad, as books bring such joy to my own life, but if Hollywood is the only way to get people to their local bookstore, so be it.

(I'd like to see an annual statistic for how many mainstream films are based on books. Eight of the 12 current release films being shown this week in Inverness are based on books.)

Swarup will be fine; I saw an interview with him on the BBC earlier this week, and he was elated. (It was his first book and the first book his agent ever sold.) His personal wealth will grow substantially with the re-branding of his text to "Slumdog Millionaire: A Novel" (see amazon.com). I've met some US-based writers who consider selling the film rights the golden ticket to getting your story out there (and to a decent bit of cash).

I didn't realize "Slumdog" was based on a book until the opening credits of a film, as I hadn't heard of Q&A. Usually I skip the film until I've read the book as I prefer to invent the story before attaching it to reality. And I do enjoy the pretension of saying smugly, "I enjoyed the book" at a dinner party where the film is being discussed. :)

PS- Kids in the UK already can be tested on film v. book aspects and films based on books, at A-level and Highers. (I'm tutoring some now.)

Unknown said...

Oh that's true, about the UK testing. My nephew told me that. HORRID I think. And yes I see your mum's POV but that's the whole point isn't it? That libraries are never as exciting as movie theatres! I mean sure, I've nothing against good films being based on books but you know, the feeling that oh lord, until someone makes a film from my book, I won't stand a real chance? It's scary!!!! Hope our books win the Booker before the movie. The BAFTA after will do nicely, thanks!